It is easier than ever before but, as you might expect, there are more pitfalls than ever when you go the self-published/promoted route.
First off though,
“Why should I become a published bestseller?”
- You can share your message with a wider audience
- You can develop more streams for networking, sharing and even income generation
- You can STAND OUT
- You gain immediate, lasting credibility for all you do
- You will become more competitive as an expert in your field
- You will receive an unbelievable boost in opportunities for public speaking engagements (should you want them)
- You will get rich off book royalties and enjoy an opulent lifestyle
- If you want #7 and that’s all please stop reading right here
The list could be expanded but this will suffice for this blog post.
You can become an Amazon bestseller, guaranteed, if you know what to do. These accolades are not all created equally however. There are SCAMS out there promising you this badge of honour that don’t really count.
Do you want to be a bestseller for 5 minutes in an obscure category completely unrelated to your field that generates no income and is easily exposed as a fraud, actually damaging your good name? (Find out how here.)
There are also “publishing farms” (my phrase) that charge groups of people to get in a room together and review each other’s books for a day in these obscure categories and call it quits. That’s it. No support for helping you promote after the fact.
There are other online businesses that want to charge you thousands of dollars for a few hard copies and even a limited number of digital versions that YOU HAVE TO SELL ON YOUR OWN!
There are more traditional style analog publishers who make you buy hundreds of copies of your own book and then guess what… YOU HAVE TO SELL THEM ON YOUR OWN!
There are other, quite reputable companies, that will guarantee to get you the highly sought-after Amazon bestseller status, support you in editing (even ghost write for you), support you in promotion and developing funnels (pathways to purchase for the book and related courses, public speaking opportunities, etc.) but charge anywhere from $10,000-$25,000!
UPDATE: My most recent round of research uncovered a publishing “School” that wants me to pay $6,997 for their course so that I can then, you guessed it, SELL THEM ON MY OWN! Actually it is quite a bit more if I want to buy the courses on offer helping me to write the book. In the initial phone call I was quoted $9,000 for a publishing and marketing “bundle” of courses. A few hours later it was raised to $11,000 before the hard sell option of immediate purchase for the $6,997 that expects me to go it alone!
Traditional publishers are a nearly impossible option for those with a first manuscript. It will take years of hard work and rejection and most likely you won’t get published anyway. Sorry, sad but true. Or you can go it alone and self-publish on Amazon. Anyone can do it and it’s not all that hard. Sales and exposure, however, that is another thing all together.
Having been through all of this I want to offer you
a brand new solution.
DISCLAIMER: This will involve investment on your part.
In order to reap all of the benefits listed at the top of this post without the years of struggle with no guarantees for success or the exorbitant and impossible costs of these “elite” publishers I invite you to join the:
Educators Publishing Cooperative
We are dedicated to helping educators share personal insights to support improved practice in the field of education and
take their careers to the next level.
We manage this by publishing collections of works by inspiring and innovative educators with new ideas and approaches to share:
- One chapter each
- 10-20 pages / submission
- We need at least 15 confirmed submissions before publishing
- We can publish with fewer if the submissions are longer and the group involved is agreeable to a higher individual cost
Here’s how it works:
- Go to this opt-in page to apply for your chapter’s inclusion.
- Each chapter is completely stand alone and needs to be able to stand as such. Authors often use longer blogposts as the inspiration for chapters.
- If there are spots available for the next publication and your submission topic is a good match we will hold your spot upon receipt of a deposit. (It would be unfair to turn down other potential authors in the event of cancelation.)
- We set target dates for drafts and editing submissions before publication.
- Authors have complete freedom and we encourage creativity in all aspects of your writing and submission.
- Original artwork is encouraged!
- FUNDAMENTAL NOTE: We are not a professional editing service. Please have your WORK PROOFREAD MULTIPLE TIMES BY MULTIPLE PEOPLE. Especially make certain that final submissions have been shared with proofreaders and editors from your network to be published as your polished, professional face to the world.
- Naturally we do read and comment on all submissions but you must be capable of producing publishable work with a minimum of editorial guidance from the cooperative.
- This service is for authors who feel ready to publish a book of their own but wish to raise their profile with a bestselling author status in a collection before attempting to do so.
This is not a get rich quick scheme.
This is a new approach to publishing
It is cooperative
It is focused on educators
We aim to combine the best of all present options while avoiding the pitfalls.
If you want to publish a chapter in a compilation just to make money then please do not apply. All profits are divided up and evenly shared among all in the cooperative formed for each publication. The point, however, is to spread our messages and increase our exposure as thought leaders and innovative educators.